Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Writing - a curse? a gift? Or something completely unique?

Hello peeps,
I hope all is well with you today?

It has been a busy week and the denstist pain right now hurts lol! Yes it was the dreaded dentist this morning, step one of two, temp cap, with my new crown ready in 2 weeks time, doesn't sound painful does it? Until now lol, - get numbed, teeth checked, shave bad tooth down until there is a third left, then it is mould time, then glue temp cap on and out the door! Blooming jaw ache too thanks to the pressure the dentist exerted, mind you I suppose it was a necessary evil.
Monday was a snow day, the kids had an unexpected day off school, which meant chaos for us.
Tuesday we went to Halifax to pick a relative up from Hospital, glad to know he is home, though it will take time to get back to normal.
Wednesday I met my mum then went to my Auntie's new place.
Thursday Amelia went to hospital to have bloods done.
The rest felt like an utter blur.

Right onto the title subject, obviously as the title suggests, is writing a gift? A curse? Or something unique?
I guess that depends upon your point of view.
Over the years, this question has been bugging me. Had someone asked me this question 15yrs ago, I would have replied the following without hesitation - 'It's a curse, not worth a diddle.'
At that moment in time, I had begun to turn my back my poetry and anything to do with writing in general.
Not only had I found it a waste of time, but perhaps I was equally depressed and angry at the world.
Even as I was going through this phase, the question constantly whirred away inside my head.


Now a days, I see writing as both a gift and an escape route. Yes I can see you thinking - 'Anyone can write, so why call it a gift?' Well to answer that question, here is my answer - it is true that anyone can write, but with a true writer it takes - imagination, grit, eye for detail and never giving up, this is the sign of a true writer. Whether it be as a poet, screen writer author etc....
Maybe experience also plays a part, to have wandered down life's path - making mistakes, laughing crying, losing, winning, learning and most of all - love. Maybe that is what makes a writer 'Great'?



Back to where we were. I think I have explained how writing can be a gift. It truly is a marvel to conjur something up out of thin air and make it your own.
Writing can be (it is for me) an escape route from the mundane reality of day to day life.
It (writing) allows me to take and relive the greatest parts of my life, especially my childhood moments. Or even let's me take a trip back down memory lane to once again see my loved ones who have long since passed away.
In doing this it causes me both pleasure and pain, pleasure as it makes me smile. laugh and appreciate the good times. Pain because it brings back the fact they are no longer around.
Here is an example - Grandad Sid when he lived in his first floor flat (Uncle Brendan lived in the ground floor flat), staying there and sticking half my body out of his sash window to look at Blackpool tower all lit up, my dad shouting at me to get back in before I fell out, or how Grandad Sid used to always buy me Juicy fruit chewing gum.



I am what I am. I do what I do. If you don't like it, walk out that door. This sums me up perfectly.
Somehow writing is a calling, whether we as writers know it or not.

So, what's your opinion? Is writing a gift? A curse? Or something unique?


Thoughts for the week - discover something new and be proud of who you are, you are unique and
Never walk past an open door, opportunities are lost and we may never see that door open again.


I'll let you ponder over that.
See you next week :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment